Wednesday 13 May 2020

Find the Lady


Your scribe was not on his "guessing game" tonight, and, as in the post below - A Critical Decision, I took a wrong view in the heart suit. North, Stefanie Rohan, began with 2C, intending to show a game force on the next round and East-West gave in to 4H despite the favourable vulnerability.

West led the two of clubs, which looked suspiciously like a singleton to my untutored eye, so I rose with the ace and led the three of hearts. East hopped up with the ace, cashed the king of clubs, and gave his partner a club ruff. West exited with the jack of spades, and I won with North's ace and led another heart on which East played a disappointing nine. Reflecting on the auction, I thought West was unlikely to have seven diamonds, or he might have made a weak jump overcall at favourable vulnerability, or might have saved in Four Spades. He clearly has three spades, so is probably 3-3-6-1, I thought, foolishly, and rose with the king, expecting to drop the queen. Two down and another bad board.

If Oscar Wilde were alive he would no doubt say: "To misguess hearts once may be regarded as a misfortune. To do so on both hands looks like carelessness."

And, did you see how Sam Nim, East, could have guaranteed beating the contract? If he gave his partner a club ruff without cashing the king of clubs, declarer would have no way home. And why not comment with your experience on this board?

3 comments:

  1. A fun hand. Over the opp's 1D I decided the 7th Diamond and singleton allowed a weak jump overcall of 3D. North's 3NT came back round to me, and taking full advantage of the favourable vulnerability I bid 4D (points shmoints: if they've not sniffed at a slam, partner must have something - hopefully in the right places for a change). This was of course X'd, and a Heart led. Not knowing how many would stand up, and wanting to get some trumps out, I went up with the Ace and led a trump, won by South. A Club to the Ace set up my King, and after a Heart to the King, 3rd Heart (ruffed high), and another round of trumps (luckily falling 2-2), West cashed the Ace of Spades removing my guess in that suit. The 3rd Spade goes away on the KC, for -300. Which would have been a better score if more NS's were making 3NT/4H...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I presume that was "over the opponent's 1H". You can see why I thought Mahendra, Sam's partner, would have bid on the actual West hand, when you went to the well twice, Ed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes over the opp's 1H! Typing pre-coffee...

    ReplyDelete

Please await moderation. Your comment will be published soon.