Wednesday 2 June 2021

False Declaration

 In some areas making a false declaration can be punishable by a fine or worse, but in bridge, the declarer is at liberty to false-card as much as she wants. Jill Shortman found a brilliant false-card on the hand below which worked a treat.


North's 1NT was 12-14 and I was looking forward to a hefty penalty when I saw dummy, having led the ace of spades. We play that this asks partner for reverse attitude, so she will encourage with the queen. West dutifully played the five and Jill followed cunningly with the eight.  I paused for thought. From which holdings would partner play the five?

Well, the one she had, 54 doubleton, but she would also do so from 543, J543, Q5, J54, J53 and J5. From QJ5, she would play the queen, so we can rule that out. It seemed to me that the odds were heavily in favour of continuing spades and I cashed the king, as Q8 doubleton with declarer was certainly possible. There was no longer any defence, and declarer emerged with an overtrick when we managed to crash two of our diamond honours. -380 did not trouble the scorers.

I think it is pretty tough for East to switch to a club, which I need to do to beat the contract (although I could cash the ace of diamonds first, but that would be silly). If North plays the three of spades instead it is all plain sailing. Partner cannot have 854, J843 or J85 as she would play the eight. She can still have Q5 doubleton of course, as well as 54 doubleton or Q85. But only the last of these is it right to continue the suit and I might well find the club switch.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please await moderation. Your comment will be published soon.