Wednesday 1 September 2021

Computer Says No by Foxymoron

 One of my favourite sketches was on Little Britain, in which David Walliams plays a rude hospital receptionist. You can view it at:

I was reminded of this when my partner only raised my 15-17 1NT to 4NT last night. The computer says, "No, you have should have raised to 6NT". Bridge Analyser thinks that the East hand below will make 6NT a whopping 81% of the time, even opposite a 15-count, so 4NT is just wrong. The key is the AJT combination which, like the little girl in the sketch said, is "nearly six" not the "five" that the Milton Work Count gives it. KJTxx is also "nearly five" and the East hand is worth around 17, and a clear raise to 6NT.


I think the above auction is normal, with Liz Clery raising directly to 6NT. Jim O'Donoghue and Iain Macleay also reached 6NT, 1S-2D-3NT (15-16)-6NT, and Jim guessed the spades to make a valuable overtrick. It seems that there is nothing to go on after a heart lead, but it is narrowly right to lead the ace of spades and then run the jack. You can pick up ª Qxxx in either opponent's hand, but cashing the ace first gains when South has a singleton queen.


2 comments:

  1. Liz made the correct bid of 6NT, but my play looks wrong.
    Although if the SQ was on my left, it would be right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz made the correct bid of 6NT, but my play looks wrong.
    Although if the SQ was on my left, it would be right!

    ReplyDelete

Please await moderation. Your comment will be published soon.