Wednesday 24 June 2020

The Rabbi's Rule

The Rabbi who plays at the Golders Green Bridge Club has a theory that the king of clubs is always a singleton offside. I could have done well to follow his advice on the following hand, but I would have done better if I had stopped to think instead of playing the "normal" line.



We had quite a good auction to the 75% game, and South led the ace and then king of diamonds, as one does. I ruffed, crossed to the queen of hearts, and finessed the queen of clubs, going one off when it lost. I think I could have done better. If, instead, I had finessed the queen of spades and it lost, then it would be very likely that the Rabbi was right, and the king of clubs was offside, and my only chance would be that it was a singleton. With two black kings and some diamond support, North would surely have raised, or at the very least doubled 2D to show some support.

The astute North might foil my plan by ducking the queen of spades. I will surely now play North for Kx of clubs, especially as to cross in hearts and re-test the spades is not completely safe. I should pay off to such fine defence, however, and I fell at the first fence and the 20% I received was well deserved.

What was your experience on the board?



1 comment:

  1. Our bidding:
    P 1C X XX
    1H P 2H 3NT
    Liz must have Diamonds?
    On the H5 lead, I was left with a dilemma.
    So I played the CA, and claimed 10 tricks.
    Bridge can be more about luck than skill.

    ReplyDelete

Please await moderation. Your comment will be published soon.