Sunday 7 February 2021

Grosvenor's Gambit by Foxymoron

 The Grosvenor Gambit appears to have been first mentioned in print in 1973 in an article in Bridge World. Philip Grosvenor, a fictional character in a short story by Frederick B. Turner had a habit of deliberately giving up a trick in bridge, but the trick would come back because the opponent could not imagine anyone would do this. He was eventually found bludgeoned to death by frustrated opponents who did not see the funny side of his behaviour.


This was a kind of Grosvenor today, although the requisite malice aforethought was not present. The auction was interesting. 2NT was a Jacoby FG raise, and I decided to treat the North hand as a complete minimum and bid 4S which ended the auction. At other tables, North-South got too high. East led a trump which neither helped nor hindered. I drew a second round and cashed the two top hearts ending in North.

Now I led the eight of clubs and East played low in tempo. Which card should I play from the dummy? On the actual layout, I can make 11 tricks by putting up the king, playing a second club which East should win to play a diamond. Now I can play the king from dummy and West has no resource. If he ducks I just play a second diamond and if he wins he is endplayed. Why did I reject this line? Well if East had won the ace of clubs and played another one I would have to broach the diamonds myself and would not be able to make an overtrick. So I played the ten of clubs and West won, returned a club to East and he now played a diamond. I had to guess to put in the king to make 10 tricks. Ivan had perpetrated his first Grosvenor Gambit.

Don't try this against any self-kibitzer, of course, as they will find the winning line. And don't  trust a hesitation from East when you lead a club. That might well be from Qxxx.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please await moderation. Your comment will be published soon.