Wednesday 21 February 2024

Lead Balloon by Foxymoron

The expression lead balloon, which means a complete failure, seems to originate from about 1924, when the phrase appeared in a "Mom N-Pop" cartoon which I have been able to locate:


It is claimed that Keith Moon described a bad gig as being "like a lead balloon" and this led to the naming of the pop group Led Zeppelin. That accords with the group being heavy metal, as a lead balloon would certainly be heavy.

I have only seen the phrase used occasionally in bridge, and it was suggested in one article that a lead balloon was an opening lead that blew several tricks so was a complete failure. When defending 1NT doubled yesterday, we managed to make four tricks fewer than our entitlement, and that was a top to bottom swing.


East opened 1NT, 12-14, in third seat, and my double as South ended the auction. I led the king of clubs, and North played the jack, the normal card, promising the ten. I did not know whether partner had JTx or Jx (or even a singleton jack), so decided to continue with the king of clubs and a small club, establishing my eight. North discarded the eight of hearts, reverse attitude, on this. East now led the king of hearts which I won and partner played the seven. If anything that suggested a spade from South, but East could have the king or queen in which case North will have something in diamonds. I cashed the eight of clubs, and partner discarded the three of hearts, which may well have been forced. I decided to play a diamond, but that just led to an overtrick. A spade switch would have been more successful, collecting +300, and an initial spade lead more successful still, collecting +500 as the defence now has eight(!) tricks in the black suits. North did not want to discard a diamond as that might be expensive if I had an honour, and a spade might also cost if I had Axx in the suit. 

At least we conceded the overtrick, which was -280, and we did not have to put up with the opponents chanting "ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY" in the style of the darts fans at Ally Pally. And I nearly forgot. Lead is one element whose chemical symbol (Pb) has none of the letters of the element. Can you name the other eight? No googling the periodic table!




3 comments:

  1. It's generally common elements whose symbols came from their Latin (or other ancient language) names. The ones I can think of are: Gold (Au), Silver (Ag), Iron (Fe), Sodium (Na), Potassium (K), Mercury (Hg). I can't get the last two. Tin's symbol Sn shares a letter, so doesn't count.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure the other one would be a pointless answer on a TV game show. Indeed I did not know what its chemical symbol was.

    ReplyDelete

Please await moderation. Your comment will be published soon.