Tuesday 2 March 2021

Grand Gamble by Foxymoron

 I decided to gamble tonight, rather than bid a hand scientifically. 


We play that 2C is either a game force or balanced g20-22 and I don't think I would have opened 2C on the North hand. I decided to bid 2D, waiting, as it seemed more important to learn more about partner's hand, 2H showed either hearts or 20-22 balanced, and I decided that we had at least 35 points and a six -card suit and even if they had a cashing ace they might not cash it! At least that was the alibi I had prepared when I jumped to 7NT. I could go more slowly first with 2S, a relay, and then over 2NT bid 3S, a transfer to 3NT, and then 4H, a slam try in clubs. All this seemed too prone to a forget of the methods however, as I am always bidding at least a small slam, and I decided that bidding diamonds, spades and then hearts when I actually had clubs was not a good idea!

I think I would have opened 1D on the North hand, and rebid 2NT, forcing over partner's 2C. Now I can bid 4C on the South hand, minorwood, and should have no problem in reaching  7NT with asking bids. Sometimes it is easier to keep the bidding low at the start. Especially if you have no methods to show a strong 4-4-4-1. I wonder how our precision friends, Michael Klein and Web Ewell would bid it. Maybe they can post a reply.

One point worth making on the play is that there are 13 top tricks if clubs are 4-2 or better and if the same defender guards clubs and either red suit they are squeezed when the other winners are cashed. I mistakenly thought that there would be a double squeeze if West guarded clubs and East guarded diamonds, but that was my initial opinion in a Zoom call, perhaps influenced by a glass of wine. Dummy gets squeezed first on the fourth round of clubs. Still the contract is well over 95%. One incredibly beautiful line which a self-kibitzer would find when East guards clubs and has Qx of diamonds is, on a heart lead, to win the ace of hearts, and now you cannot cash the queen of clubs. Instead you cash four rounds of spades with a most unusual squeeze on East who has to led go his heart guard. Now you cash four rounds of clubs and West gets squeezed in the reds. A sort of double squeeze but without the normal entry requirements.

2 comments:

  1. I can tell you how I and Tim pPelling or Malcolm Morris would bid it in Precision.
    A 2D multi shows either a weak 2 in a major or, as here a 4441 in the range 17-20. South, assumolingvthe weak 2, will probably make a 2NT enquiry, when the response of 3NT shows the singleton club - but of course not the vital information that it is the Q. 4C is a further enquiry, now about controls, and 5C shows 8. A slam now seems a decent bet and South probably selects 6N for the extra points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blue Club's effort:
    4441 17-24 2D - 2H Relay
    17-20 1 Club 2NT - 3C Range?
    19-20 3H - 4C Controls?
    8 Controls 5C - 6C Queens?
    1 Queen 6H - 6NT Give up. Needed to identify the
    CQ, which Blue Club failed to do


    ReplyDelete

Please await moderation. Your comment will be published soon.