Tuesday 16 March 2021

Lasker's Lesson by Foxymoron

 The great chess World Champion Emanuel Lasker held the title from 1894 to 1921, the longest reign in history. A friend of Albert Einstein, his contribution to chess (and mathematics) was great, but he is known as much for his sage saying: "When you see a good move, look for a better one". Such was the case today at the bridge table and I might have made an extra trick, although not without some risk:


Both, North, arseblog, and East, lamford, were celebrating Arsenal's win on Sunday in the North London derby, so the table was quite chatty. It seems surprising that yet another ogdoad, or eight-card suit, appeared but I am assured the dealing program is random. 4H looks about right as dealer, vulnerable, and I would not be tempted to bid South African Texas on it, if available. That is a bid of 4C (or sometimes 3NT) to show a good 4H bid. And I would not be tempted to bid 4S on the North hand as that is 1100 if the defence find both ruffs.

South was not blessed with second sight, so had no reason to lead a spade, and led a top diamond, dummy winning. Trumps were drawn in two rounds and I advanced the jack of clubs as East, covered and won with the ace. I noted the fall of the seven, but was aware that the opponents had the 6,5,4 and 3 so did not think much of this. I thought it did not cost to cash the ace of clubs now, and if the ten fell, I could discard a spade on the eight and would not need the spade onside. 12 tricks proved to be above average. However ,,,

Having thought of that line, I should have wondered if there was a better one, following Lasker's advice. I could certainly ruff a diamond and run six more rounds of hearts. If South does have five clubs and the KQJ of diamonds he will be squeezed on the last heart and I will make all thirteen tricks. If North has the ten of clubs guarded, however, this line will not work and I need to play for the ace of spades onside. The line for 12 tricks when North does have a third club (say swapping a club for a spade) is remarkable. Now you draw trumps, runs the jack of clubs covered and won, ruff a diamond, and now run the trumps, catching North in a throw-in squeeze. Of course, all of these esoteric lines need one to view the ending. And if North ducks with the king of clubs, that might throw a spanner in the works.

The first record of this phrase that I can find in print is in The Parliamentary Debates of the New Zealand Parliament, 1932

"Of course, every honourable member has a right to express his opinions, even of a critical nature, but I do think we should expect them to help and not throw a spanner in the gears."

Oh, and I nearly forgot, but Harvey reminded me. The five distinct contracts that result in a score of 960 are:

1H/Sx+4 Vul

1Nxx+2  NV

2C/Dxx+2 NV

3H/Sxx= Vul

3H/Sxx+1 NV



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please await moderation. Your comment will be published soon.