Sunday 28 March 2021

Help by Foxymoron

 It was good to see Rachel and Matthew Bingham recording their first win at the Woodberry Pairs today, only a couple of months after returning to active play. They used to win regularly at the club, but have had other interests in recent years, as well as raising a family.

Today they needed some help from the opponents to win, and the last board epitomised some of the gifts they had: I am reminded of the famous words:

When I was younger, so much younger than today
I never needed anybody's help in any way
But now these days are gone, I'm not so self assured (but now these days are gone)
(And now I find) now I find I've changed my mind and opened up the doors

There was no real chance from the start, but Rachel persuaded her opponents to misdefend. She was grateful for the top, which helped her and Matthew to 64%, well clear of second.


I don't think West should raise with only a singleton ace of clubs, and this caused East to misread the hand. West started with two top hearts and then cashed the ace of clubs and played a third heart. Declarer ruffed and played off all the trumps. Declarer had cunningly cashed the king of diamonds en route, so that there was no entry to dummy and this persuaded East to discard the king of clubs playing South to have AQxx of diamonds. If that were the case then declarer could always make it on a minor-suit squeeze, so East should assume that South has only three diamonds and two clubs, even though that seems unlikely. As the famous detective said: 

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth - Arthur Conan Doyle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please await moderation. Your comment will be published soon.